Skip to main content

BE Advised

The place to go for undergraduate advising in biological engineering

AP and Transfer Credit Basics

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


You can request that completed AP or transfer credit be applied toward your degree. The AP credit table for the College of Engineering is here.

Transfer Credit

All transfer credit for the BE and EnvE majors must be approved before it will be posted on the Cornell transcript by using this form. Courses completed prior to matriculation will be evaluated when the student matriculates at Cornell. Courses taken outside of Cornell after matriculation must be approved before the student enrolls in them to ensure credit will count toward the engineering degree. If a transfer course meets the subject matter content, but lacks full credit content, the student must fulfill the credit requirement by making up the correct amount of credits in that category on the Program Progress Form (PPF).  You need to fill out this form to obtain approval for math courses.  If math approves your course, you still need to fill out the engineering transfer credit form and attach their approval email to the form.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. Is it recommended to take all the AP credits I could? Or is it better to re-take courses at the college level? 

A1. The only general advising rule here is to be very wary of using Calculus AP credit to completely replace Math 1910. The Engineering College’s formal requirement is a 4 or 5 on the AP BC Calculus exam to place into Math 1920. But Math 1920 is a very tough course, which requires a better understanding of calculus than is supplied by most high school AP calculus courses.

If you want to place into Math 1920 you must have an appropriate score on the AB BC calculus exam AND (if a first year student) a score above 133 on the summer math diagnostic exam AND  BEE also requires you to attempt the Math Department placement exam for engineering math. This exam is offered every semester, usually on the Saturday or Sunday morning preceding the start of classes.  Check with the Math Department well in advance to sign up and verify the time and place.

AP Biology is accepted by BEE in lieu of freshman bio, but some other entities do not accept it, for instance Cornell’s Biology program, BME program, and some medical schools.  If you are pre-med or plan to double major in a department that does not accept AP Bio, talk to an advisor at the Health Careers Advising Center or the advising staff of the other department as soon as possible, so that you can begin to negotiate the requirements.

Q2: I am an enrolled Cornell student, but I want to take a course at a different institution and transfer it back to Cornell to satisfy one of my requirements. Can I do this? How?

A2: You’ll need to get the course pre-approved to be sure it will transfer in properly by using this form.  For that you will need the course description and ideally, the course syllabus with a schedule of topics, since course descriptions typically err on the side of brevity.  The toughest courses to get pre-approved are: CHEM 2070/2080/2090, MAE 2020, MATH 2930, BEE 2600/2510, BEE 3310, 3500, 3600. If you want to transfer in a math course, you need to use this form. If the math department approves your course, you still need to fill out the engineering transfer credit form and attach their approval email to the form.  You cannot transfer in capstone design: that is non-negotiable. The easiest courses to get pre-approved are liberal studies courses, but if you want to get transfer credit for a freshman writing seminar, the Knight Institute has to approve it and they will ask you to prove that you did enough writing and enough revising of that writing to meet their standards.

Q3:  Details on transfer credit please?

A3: This lengthy document covers it all:  Detailed Transfer Credit Process

Skip to toolbar